June 13, 2010

June 13, 2010

Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Pirate Party...ARGH!

We threw Luke a Pirate Party for his 3rd birthday, and it was sooo much fun! I'm not sure who had more fun..the kids or me.  I really enjoyed getting into the whole "going overboard for a 3 year-old birthday party" and wouldn't have changed a thing!  Here's how I (with lots of help) pulled it off.
Brooklyn took this picture.  You did a great job sweetie!

First, there was the invitations.  All I did was empty an IBC root beer bottle,  print off a treasure map onto a brown paper bag,  burn the edges of the map, roll it up, stick it into the bottle, and tie a homemade invitation around the map.  Luke had a great time driving to his friends houses to deliver the bottles.
Here's what the treasure map looked like.  I forgot to get a picture by itself, so here it is inside a frame.  You can find it at FamilyFun.com and print it for free!  
Second, you need a mother who knows and loves to sew! While I was in California, my Mom made these adorable "Loot" bags, and being a true southern women, monogramned each of them.  I felt like Ned Nederlander from "The Three Amigos", "Sew like the wind village of Santo Poco!"  We had only one night to make them all.  My Mom was a real trooper staying up till one in the morning and then waking up before sunrise the next day to get them all finished.   She taught me how to make the bandanas.  They were very easy to make, and I loved how they turned out!
Third, decoarte.  This realy got my creative juices flowing.  I took down our tampoline net (as it had taken a great beating form the hail-tornado storm that past by a year and a half ago and needed to go) and  turned it into the table covers.  I got free sand from a local mulch store to use to decorate around the treasure chest.  Put out some pirate decorations, yummy food, "rum" punch, lights, and wha-la..you've got a pirate cove.
Fourth, get a friend who knows how to make a totally awesome and delicious birthday cake! Thank you Andrea..the cake was amazing!
Look at the detail! Thank you Elena for being able to cut it!
And finally, put together a treasure hunt, and make sure there are foam swords and water balloons involved!  This was hillarious to watch!  A big thanks to my husband, Neil, and to Eric for being the "Bad Pirates" on the treasure hunt.  The kids had so much fun trying to "sink your ship."
                                      
                        Chasing Neil and Eric who stole the "Loot".
Grabbing a cannon ball (water balloon)
Check out the water balloon in mid-flight!
This picture is my favorite.  Look at Porter (the boy on the left).  He is the youngest of Luke's friends, but wielded his sword like none other.  With his pirate outfit and in full battle with the other buccaneers,  Porter wins my "Best Pirate of the Night" award.
Conspiring a plan.
Charging the Ship.
Facing the enemy!
Reese finding the next clue after victory!
Reese also wins my "Dirtiest Pirate" award.
Lisa gets an "E" for effort for trying to get Gavin to wear his bandana!
Finding the "Loot"!
Thank you BryAnn for holding Logan the whole night!
Luke completley happy with his candy and presents.  Thank you everyone for coming.  We had a blast!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun and really cute all at the same time! Can't wait to see the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such a good job! Thanks for letting my whole family come. I need your "rum" recipe ;).
    Here is a link to our blog. 8twenty98.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Kindra has definately raised the bar for children's birthday parties. I have a feeling I'd better oil that machine and keep it ready.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was such a cute party Kindra! Jonah had so much fun and loved all the loot he brought him (sword, bandana, etc). Luke is a lucky little boy to have you for a mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO CUTE! I love your hair by the way--you look fantastic! I loved all your ideas! I had no idea you were so awesomely creative! Lucky kids! Can't wait to see all you've done to your house! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! that is amazing!! Lucky boy! You did a great job...everything looked so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete